Every now and then, the Star Wars saga seems to re-enter the cultural conversation. George Lucas continues to find creative new ways to keep his iconic films from fading into sci-fi history. Most recently, Lucas started the ball rolling again by re-releasing The Phantom Menace in 3-D. The other five films will follow, and a whole new generation will learn to love Star Wars.
About a mile from my house, a museum exhibit called Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination has been displaying props, costumes, and behind the scenes information on the production of the films since November. Watching tiny children, whose parents weren’t old enough to play with Luke and Leia action figures when the original movie came out, parading around in full Storm Trooper and Boba Fett costumes left little doubt that this groundbreaking science fiction saga continues to strike a chord in the American mindset.
And why not? It’s modern mythology. It hits many of the same notes and archetypes that ancient myths reveal, but it is told in a sci-fi context. Here you have your hero’s quest, your facing the shadow, your Oak King/Holly King battle, your descent into the Underworld, and more.
I hope to explore the Star Wars saga in a series of posts. I have recently finished watching all six films again. This was the first time I had seen the prequel trilogy since its original screen release, and I gained a new appreciation for them. For now, let me start with a list of the Top 10 lessons I learned from Star Wars. Some of these are Pagan-related. Others are just good things to know. If you have your own, please feel free to add them.
10. Keep your mind strong so no one will be able to bend your will.
9. Protesting that “It’s not my fault” will not get you out of difficult situations.
8. Don’t trust genetically modified anything.
7. In a conflict, always take the high road or your opponent will cut you off at the knees.
6. Your dad isn’t as evil as you thought he was when you were a kid.
5. Trust your animal guides whether they are large or small.
4. If your intuition tells you “I have a bad feeling about this,” listen.
3. Blood is thicker than…crazy lightning bolts coming out of the bad guy’s hand.
2. Don’t give up, even if all you know has been destroyed and the love of your life has been frozen solid.
1. Judge others by their size, do not.